Deaf and hard of hearing individuals are 1.5 times more likely to be victims of relationship violence including; sexual harassment, sexual assault, psychological abuse and physical abuse in their lifetime.
How might they experience interpersonal violence?
– Intimidation through gestures, facial expressions or exaggerated signs, floor stomping and pounding on the table or door
– Signing very close to a victim’s face when angry
– Not informing the victim when people try to call on the phone or try to catch their attention
– Excluding the victim from important conversations
– Leaving the victim out in social situations with hearing people
– Talking negatively about the Deaf community
– Wrongly interpreting to manipulate the situation if the police are called
– Not allowing children to use ASL to talk with the victim
– Criticizing the victim’s speech and English skills